Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Restaurant Rant Again

This restaurant rant has a new spin, me as a consumer instead of a server.
On Saturday, SG and I went to see Confessions of a Shopaholic (save your money, not even a rental) and then we went to the Cheesecake Factory for some Mac and Cheese bites which are on the appetizer menu and are absolutely delicious.
We were sitting in close quarters in the middle of two different parties. The party I watched somewhat closely was the younger couple with a a few gold teeth each. The girl was on her cell phone the whole entire meal, and the guy was texting quite a bit. Well, it's customary at the Cheesecake Factory to receive COMPLIMENTARY bread with your meal. Normally it is a sweet wheat and a sourdough or french. The wheat is always good and soft, and the sourdough and or french is always good, but is a bit harder because that is the way it comes. Well, the girl took time out from her busy phone convo to inform the server that she wanted some different bread because hers was hard. The server tried to explain that that kind of bread is hard and she could bring her another wheat roll, but the girl did not like wheat. The server then brought a roll of sourdough on request. This server also constantly went back and forth for different condiments and refills.
As they were paying their bill I noticed he paid with a credit card. Then I started watching closely as he was signing. Yep, my suspicions were correct, I watched his hand make his signature and not venture up on the ticket to write in a tip amount. I was steaming for the server. Then his nice girlfriend threw down $2. Insulting. The bill was $38.
I can't stand people like that.
I understand we are in a recession, money is tight. Then, don't go out to dinner at a restaurant that servers are earning below the minimum wage if you cannot tip.
Don't even get my started on my Sonic experience this afternoon on Independence Avenue. All I will say is that it took 30 minutes for a grilled cheese and a Dr. Pepper. Not cool.

1 comment:

Kris Eton said...

Why do people even go out to eat with someone if all they are going to do is talk to someone else? Heaven forbid if my kids EVER grow up to be like these two...cell phone yakking, texting idiots.

The hub worked as a server long long ago at a steak place in TX. He rarely got good tips. It was sad. You make horrid basic wages and then the government estimates your tips for you (how nice)...they always WAY overestimated how much he took in tips.

We always leave 15 to 20% when we dine out (which is rare). Same is true for hotels/motels. Always leave some kind of tip. Even if it's $2.