Monday, January 19, 2009

Good Samaritan chases a scooter

I can see the headline now. The Today Show will probably be calling next, then hopefully some late night TV. Just kidding, but the story is pretty entertaining.
This evening on my way home from Little Caesars (where I got my pizza free again), I decided to stop at Sonic and get a pop. On the way out of Sonic I came very close to hitting a man on a scooter. Not a Vespa type of scooter, instead a scooter like this one:

My heart was beating very fast as I realized I almost hit and killed the guy. Not sure if it would have been my fault, I won't even go into that. Anyway, the guy had NO lights on his scooter (and it was dark out). At the time this was happening, I was on the phone with my dad. He suggested I call 911 to let them know what was going on. I did. The dispatcher instructed me to stay with the guy, and flash those in oncoming traffic, so they would be aware. This guy did not stop at busy intersections, and swerved in both lanes of traffic. I stayed on the phone the whole time with the dispatcher until the cops arrived. At one point during my 4 mph chase, the guy was onto me. He stopped, tried to wave me on. The dispatcher instructed me to pretend like I was turning around, so I did. I turned around in a non busy intersection. This is where it got good and where I wished I had a camera or a dash cam. At this point I was turning around, kind of in a circle, the scooter man decided to chase me. Yep, me in my little car being chased in the dark by a man on a scooter. I told the dispatcher and he was laughing. The cops came up just about this time and they were both laughing a bit as well. They put their lights on were going to deal with the man. I headed home and warmed up my pizza for dinner. Never a dull moment.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why did you not offer the scooter guy any pizza. A true samaritan would have offered dinner and sip of your drink/

Marie said...

HA HA HA HA HA HA! Thank God you have a blog to preserve these memories....

Holly Shehorn Pittman said...

Forget the guy on the scooter... how did you score free pizza (again)?