Thursday, November 27, 2008

Seasonal Guilt


It's that time of year again. The time where everywhere you go there is a red kettle and at each checkout you are asked if you want to make an additional donation to a different organization.
I have felt this way before, and shared my thoughts with SG on Wednesday when we were running around KC on errands and seemed to come upon a red kettle everywhere we turned.
Don't get me wrong, I think the Salvation Army is a great thing and this guilt is probably something I just have to get past, but I will still share. My feeling is that there are too many red kettles, and I hate the feeling of guilt when I pass by one without putting a dollar in. I wonder if the bell ringers are secretly thinking, "cheapskate." I try to make an effort to donate to them often, but if I were to put a dollar in everytime I walked in or out of the mall, Target, HyVee, WalMart, and seemingly everywhere else, I would be even more broke.
Just a thought, I would love to hear your comments on this!

1 comment:

Marie said...

Trust me. I know. I was really embarrassed at the mall today when I decided to put, like, 16 cents in. I thought I'd try to put it in with my fist so it might look like a decent amount, but my money got clogged in the slot so he had plenty of time to see exactly what a cheapskate I was being.

I felt kind of stupid, but who cares what they think? They don't know you or your situation. They don't know how many red kettles you've walked by. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just do what you can and give who you want to.