Monday, November 10, 2008

Girl, you leaving?

This morning I decided to revert back to my youth, well actually only about 8 years to my freshman year of college at KSU. For extra money I would go to NABI in Westloop and sell my plasma for $50 each time, and you could go twice a week. You could get $10 more on your birthday and some other bonus if you referred a friend.
Well, last night after a slow night at work, I decided to look online to see if there was a plasma center nearby, and yes there is! There are two locations, one on Independence Avenue and one on 34th and Broadway. The hours are 7-7. I got up early this morning, showered and was out the door by 830, heading to make a buck or 50 for donating some lifesaving plasma.
I thought my luck was going good, when I parallel parked right in front of the building. As I was parking, I noticed two cop cars. When I checked in, there was a cop and then there was a cop in the waiting room. Yes, the waiting room was full of about 75 people. It reminded me of the Social Security office in KCK or the DMV in Washington DC. I checked in, the lady checked my vein and saw that my right arm was a better vein and made a note of that on my chart. She told me the wait would be 3 hours. I sat down, looked around and realized I was the only caucasian in the room. I was wearing my North Face fleece and was being stared out. I sat down next to a man that was dozing off but still drawing some comic strip and the woman next to me was scratching her weave. But in case you did not know, you can't scratch weave, instead you have to slap your head, and that's what was happening.
After sitting there for about 10 minutes, I looked around and decided to make an exit and never comeb back. On my way out, the lady at the front desk yelled, "Girl, you leaving? Come on back here, we will get you in in a couple of hours."
No thanks.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Oh wow, I wish I could have warned you. The pitch did a big article about that plasma center - it's basically all druggies. Yuck.

Marie said...

One of many things that are different here in KC than in Manhappenin'. Another? The laundry mat! When we first moved here I went to the laundry mat (it was even in OP) and decided I was never going back. Creep central.

Good story!